Sunday, July 22, 2007

Sole Saviour

Earlier this week, Little Pony saved my sole. I'd been hiking in Chacos (trail sandals) for several hundred miles. But Pennsylvania did a number on them. By the last stretch of New York the soles were barely hanging on to the uppers. The left one flapped with every step I took. So I asked my mom to send my semi-broken-in boots. But meanwhile my sandals were fading fast. Even duct tape couldn't hold the sole. I tied it on with a bandana, but it still flopped around. So Little Pony went ahead of me down the mountain to retrieve my boots. I step-flopped at 1 mph while she raced into Kent. I slowly made it to the next shelter, set up camp, and waited. LP returned just before dark with mixed news. She was 10 minutes late to the PO, but managed to buy me a pair of Croc clogs. The next morning,we both walked down the mountain, got my boots, did laundry and mailed the sorry sandals home. They are supposedly under warranty. We'll see. If they get repaired, I'll PROBABLY never do a long hike in them again.
-Billy Goat

No comments: