Monday, April 23, 2007

de-materializing


It seems somehow appropriate that one of the first major purchases I made when I moved to DC was one of the first I sold when preparing for our transition to the trail. For some reason, I had fixated for years on owning an armoire. Maybe it was the functionality and the aesthetics mixed with the sheer anachronism of a piece of furniture whose synonym described the stuff it was crafted to hold: wardrobe. Anyway, I’ve always been a sucker for anachronisms. But we needed room to “minimize” our condo for sale, it was too big and heavy to store and move, and, anyway, it was somewhat worse for the wear. We successfully “Craigslisted” it away—and used the proceeds to buy gear (of course). All in all, we’re looking forward to minimizing our material goods to 25-35-pound “houses on our back”. Longtime members of my posse are probably wondering about what my long-time companion Brett will be doing while Polina and I hit the trail? Stay tuned for the next post.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

tremendously purifying

I don't know what I would do with all my books, 95% of what I own

prolly put them in storage

Paul Smaglik said...

Actually, we already put 20+ boxesof books in storage,with 2-3 more to go--and, of course, we're shippinganother box to Wisonsin--so that we can strategically send ourselves reading material along the way.