Thursday, April 19, 2007

Trail Grub

So I'm a total foodie, and perhaps the one thing I obsess about more than encountering a bear or snake is what I'm gonna eat. In fact, I'd say that's the foremost thought in mind.

I'm stockpiling recipes and am always on the lookout for more.

My idols when it comes to trail cooking - friends Kate & Matt Bates and Eric & Renee Treml - who we hiked the Grand Canyon with in May 2006.

Kate inspired me to buy an Excalibur dehydrator to dehydrate (and make light and less perishable) virtually any food you can imagine. And Eric and Renee skillfully demonstrated that vegetarians have more fun on the trail when it comes to eating.

I hope Renee won't mind if I share this tasty recipe from her:

Veggie "Sausage"
(we divide this up so it serves as side dish for several breakfasts)
1 c. bulgur wheat
1/2 c. TVP (texturized veggie protein)
1/4 c. flour
dried equivalent of 1 egg
1 T. nutritional yeast (optional)
a few T. (to taste) of breakfast sausage seasoning or mix up dried sage/garlic powder/salt/pepper/red pepper/paprika (or your favorite sausage seasonings)
To the above add... 2.5 cups boiling water and let sit for 10 mins or so... then fry up in oil.

Have more recipes? Post them here in the comments section or email them to me at polinamakievsky@hotmail.com and I'll share them on the blog.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have nothing but the already proffered than plain old oatmeal - perhaps made more palatable dressed up with walnuts and your choice of raisons or dried cranberries, add a dollop of brown sugar for energy and you can't beat it for trail food

not much help, I know