Friday, April 13, 2007

What would your adventure look like?

So by this point, you've figured out that we're hiking the trail and that's our big adventure (or rather, first big adventure as Mr. and Mrs. Smaglievsky). What's your dream for a great adventure?

Here's a little bit on what brought me here:
So Paul (aka - Billy Goat) and I have been thinking about the AT separately and together as a couple for some time. I first considered it when I first learned about the AT - around 2000-2001 when I read Bryson's "A Walk in the Woods" . At the time, being a city kid (bred in NYC), I would hardly describe myself as outdoorsy, but the book left me with a newfound appreciation of something as magnificent as a 2,000+ mile trail -- it's history, and the adventure of thru-hiking it. I thought -- this might be something I might want to do one day. Flash forward to 2004 when I began dating Mr. Eagle Scout whose been thinking about the AT as a real adventure in his future...and the rest is history, as they say.

My first time...
My first camping trip ever was to beautiful Assateague Island with Paul. I redefined his notion of camping by convincing him to drive to a nearby crab shack and buy some steamed crabs and a six pack. Today I'm proud to say I chaw on jerky and can light a camp stove in the dark with the best of 'em!

When it's time to go...
So why the trail for me? Now? Well ... apart from the fact that my butt is starting to resemble the cushion on my office chair (or is it that my office chair is taking on the shape of my butt??) -- Billy Goat and I knew we wanted to go on an adventure...and there is no good time or right time...so we set the date. For me, it's a time to recharge my batteries (no emails, no conference calls, no more Corner Bakery catered work gatherings, no more politics). the only complex dynamics I want to navigate are those between me and mother nature (oh, and I suppose there is the matter of Billy Goat). And when people ask me what I do (in DC, that is the question), I would rather share my adventure than hand them a business card...because aren't we more than the sum of our job titles?)

Everyone (almost everyone?) has been supportive and celebratory with us. It's made me realize that everyone needs an adventure (in fact, we probably need more than one) to look forward to. Something that restores and reconnects us back to ourselves so that we can grow and be better versions of us.

What's your dream adventure? If you were to quit your job in 2 -3 months, what would you do?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

and ... and - I had saved enough to make a major investment ...

I would buy a sturdy seagoing sailing vessel and take off for parts abroad!

perhaps I would start smaller - coastal cruising before ocean-crossing daring-do

but there you have it

that's my dreamscape

yours is as grand as it is earthy and wholly and deliciously American

Unknown said...

Hi Paul, I guess I already had mine - by sailing across the Atlantic last summer in a 72-ft yacht with a bunch of other amateurs! But if it taught me anything it was that it made me hungry for more adventures, not less. Have fun on yours - and I'm sure there'll be more to come in the future! Sarah T

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.