Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Trail Fashion

those of you more interested in things other than how many miles we walked today...i bring you trail fashion. hikers may be a filthy lot, but there are certainly trail trends in the clothing dept. fortunately for me, the big trends in hiker fashion are unisex - so this will be brief. in clothing, the in item is most certainly the hiking skirt or kilt, for the guys. we've encountered 2 kilt wearers. kilts communicate to other hikers: "i'm comfortable with my sexuality and i'm willing to take risks." billy goat and I wonder whether undies are optional. there are chaffing issues to consider. for ladies - there are long and short varieties - mountain hardware makes a nice skirt with straps on the sides to adjust the length. footware: the hands down favorite for post hike footwear are the rubber crocs. they are soft and the ultra lighters tell us they are the lightest shoes available (and they know cause they've weighed them all). I am stuck in the year 2000 and remain loyal to my tevas, but I can be pursuaded. hottest accessory: small parasols to keep the sun and rain off your shoulders. some use these instead of carrying rain gear and they're handy when crossing exposed sunny fields. as for nots - you can do no wrong as long as you stay away from cotton and non wicking fabrics.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Crocks? For real? I would think there would SERIOUS rubbing issues.

Had a great discussion to an intern who wore her Chaco's during a hike in Nicaragua. Seems she's very happy with them and has retired her Teva's, which is what I am looking at as well...

Keep up the awesome job - Kate and I are looking for a special 'trail treat' for you birds.

Talk soon,

Owl